Friday, September 18, 2009

Lisa's Persuasive Speech

Here is Lisa's Speech on The Harvest Crusade. She was given the opportunity to share with a secular class at her collage and passed out flyer's afterwards. She found a couple flyer's crumbled up, but she also had a couple of people share with her afterwards about how the speech was really good.



Persuasive

TITLE: The Harvest Crusade: A Life Changing Event



PURPOSE OF SPEECH: Hi, my name is Lisa Jorgensen and the purpose of my speech today is to inform you about the Harvest Crusade this summer which is a totally awesome event.

INTRODUCTION
Attention Getter: (show bumper sticker) If you haven’t seen one of these you’ll probably start to see them every where now that I’ve pointed it out to you. It says, “Harvest: Greg Laurie, August 14-16th, Anaheim Stadium/ harvest.org”.
Importance of speech: The Harvest Crusade is an important event to attend because not only can we freely gather, but any one can attend and be challenged to decide about life’s most important questions, where did I come from, why am I here and where am I going?
Central Thesis: What in the world is a Harvest Crusade anyway and what can I expect when I get there?



Main Point 1: Listen up because I’m going to tell you what a Harvest Crusade is.



Main Point 2: Then when I’m through you’ll know what to expect when you get there.



Expectation: I’ve personally been involved in the event itself and being a part of it has been very rewarding. When you go don’t expect a typical church setting because it’s not your grandma’s church, unless your grandma likes to rock. Each night appeals to all different age ranges with exiting performances by various, popular Christian music artists, followed by the Gospel message from Pastor Greg Laurie of Harvest Christian Fellowship in Riverside California. The Harvest Crusade is a life changing event.



Transitional Sentence: With that in mind let me further explain.



BODY



Main Point 1: What is a Harvest Crusade?



Identify Sub-Point: It is an evangelistic outreach. (VISUAL AID-This window poster is an example of getting other’s attention to inform them about the event/ it tells you who is performing.)



Supporting Sentence: The event reaches out to those who question their purpose in life in a fun and inviting atmosphere.



Supporting Sentence: (source) Sherwood Eliot Wirt, author of a book titled, “Billy, A Personal Look at Billy Graham, the World’s Best-Loved Evangelist”, wrote, “What a wonderful day when God’s servant Billy Graham and others like him around the world are still proclaiming the good news, … and the Holy Spirit is still equipping new converts to ‘go and do likewise’.”



Identify Sub-Point: The Harvest Crusade is where a declaration of the Gospel message from the Holy Bible is proclaimed to 10’s and 1000’s of people.



Supporting Sentence: Since 1990, Harvest Crusade’s have been held through out the U..S., and in Australia and New Zealand.



Supporting Sentence: Well over 3 million people have attended and more than 300,000 have professed faith in Jesus Christ. For more information go online to (source) harvest.org.



Transitional Sentence: Now for my next point.



Main Point 2: What else can you expect when you get there?



Identify Sub-Point: Expect to see 1,000’s of people get up from their seats and flood down to the baseball field.



Supporting Sentence: You may see any one from 8 to 80, crying or laughing, rich or poor or from one country or another, make a public profession of faith in Jesus Christ as Savior of their soul.



Supporting Sentence: (source) In Greg Laurie’s autobiography titled, “Lost Boy”. Chuck Smith, Senior Pastor of Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, California, states in his forward, “Through the years it has been a great blessing to see how God took this lost boy, turned his life around and used him to touch so many others with a message of hope”. You can also go online to “Greg’s Blog” and watch the “Lost Boy” documentary.



Identify Sub-Point: At the Harvest Crusade you can also expect Greg Laurie’s message to be down to earth and funny, yet serious and sobering.



Supporting Sentence: Greg Laurie is so funny. He used to be a hippie with long hair and as he got older he became bald. He sometimes jokes about that and I’ve heard him quote, “I used to have a wave but now I have a beach front.”



Supporting Sentence: Greg Laurie is also serious. For instance, on July 24th, 2008, his 33 year old 1st born son, died in a car accident just days before the Harvest Crusade and went home to be with Jesus in heaven, leaving behind his pregnant wife and daughter. Greg can identify with life’s tragedies. He now all the more desires to give the message of hope and eternal life in our world. He wrote a book titled, (source) “Hope for Hurting Hearts”, by Greg Laurie. In it he quotes, “I would give anything to have Christopher back,… but I will have to wait for a little while. Heaven is closer to me now and earth is less attractive. But I still have a task to do, and I want to do it.



Transitional Sentence: Allow me to conclude.



CONCLUSION
Attention Getter: Each of you will not forget about this event because you’ll now have a new road game. Whoever finds the next Harvest bumper sticker wins.
Importance of speech: The Harvest Crusade is an important event because not only can we freely gather, but any one can attend and be challenged to decide about life’s most important questions, where did I come from, why am I here and where am I going?


Central Thesis: So what is a Harvest Crusade and what is it all about?


Main Point 1: Hopefully I answered those questions well enough for you.


Main Point 2: If not, be of good cheer, you’ll be receiving a personal invitation during our break.


Expectation: I’ve personally been involved in the event itself and being a part of it has been very rewarding. When you go, don’t expect a typical church setting because it’s not your grandma’s church, unless your grandma likes to rock. Each night appeals to all different age ranges with exiting performances by various, popular Christian music artists followed by the Gospel message from Pastor Greg Laurie of Harvest Christian fellowship in Riverside, California. The Harvest Crusade is a life changing event.

Close: Again my name is Lisa Jorgensen and thank you for your time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay I'm the first one to comment, woo hoo!!!! Liska

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...