Love (agape)
I was a brand new baby Christian when I first met her and I rarely would let anyone hug me, but when I was introduced to Shelly it was with a warm and welcoming tight hug. I had never met anyone with whom there is such a radiance of Gods love. I sat down in the living room of her cozy little house where she lived with her husband and five boys. Her sweet voice never once complained about the limit of space in their home. Her two six-month-old twin boys shared a room with mom and dad, their crib next to the bed. Her oldest, about twelve at the time, shared a room with the other two boys, six and nine.
Shelly gladly took me under her wings, she saw a young twenty-year-old woman in need of some good solid discipleship. I called her almost everyday with many questions about how to endure some of my darkest trials, she taught me to fervently pray for my husband who was not a believer at the time, and unconditionally love (agape) him in the battle for his soul. I remember Shelly telling me, “Hun, get on your face before God and cry out to Him on behalf of your husband”.
She taught me about modesty, how not to gossip, how to pray effectively, how to tenderly love my children, and how to respect and submit to my husband. All of what Shelly has taught me, has been lived out through example. When Shelly had to correct me, it was (and is) always done in love, using a story of her own life, or an example of how God has worked in a friend or family member. Everyone that knows Shelly, knows that she is a God fearing woman who has been delivered from a lot of pain and heartache. She has ministered to hundreds of brokenhearted women at our church retreat, sharing her testimony of God’s grace and goodness. Many people know that it is hard to catch Shelly without a smile unless she is mourning with one who mourns. Any time someone needs prayer, she is faithful to lift them before the Lord.
When her oldest son enlisted into the military her faith in God grew deeper, and more real than ever. She threw him a memorable going away party, covering him in prayer, scripture, advice, and support. She rallied her close friends and bible study groups to help send supplies over seas to Iraq (which costs a small fortune) to her son’s platoon, She wrote his fellow soldiers, to let them know that some cares for them too. She cried out the Lord for the protection of her firstborn child.
I often wish that I can just sit and bask in her gift of wisdom God has anointed her with. She has truly sought the Lord with ALL of her heart, soul, and strength. She is not afraid to share her faith in the Lord with anyone, she willingly presents the Gospel to whomever God has put in her path. I remember her sharing a story with me about her neighbors lawn being real high. She didn’t know her neighbor too well but as she was mowing her own lawn, God had put it on her heart to mow right into their overgrown grass. Her neighbor came out asking why she had mowed their lawn. She could only respond that Jesus told her to do it. Shelly is always obedient to what God calls her to do. With the Joy of the Lord, she freely serves children, young and elderly women, the sick, the poor, the rich, and the lost. I love this woman dearly and every time I think about her, I just want to cry tears of joy. She has the beauty of God within her and if I had to choose one word to describe Shelly, it would be Love (agape) as she signs all of her cards and letters.
If she knew that I was writing this essay; Shelly would in all humility give glory and honor to her LORD and Savior Jesus Christ
Her children rise up and call her blessed. Her husband also praises her. She is a woman who fears the Lord.
Proverbs 31:28&30
No comments:
Post a Comment