Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Word Of Encouragement For Homeschool

For many of you the traditional school year starts the day after Labor Day, for some it may be now or a few weeks prior. If you haven’t already started planning, you're probably praying about purchasing curriculum, working out your schedules,or organizing your “home” school. You may be in a season where you feel completely at peace, and will begin with little preparation, or no worries. Or, you may be in a season like I ‘m in right now. Overwhelmed, and emotionally stressed. One minute I’m excited, the next, I'm a worry wart. So, what is God putting on my heart through this journey called home school?

I know for a fact that he’s calling me to seek Him with all of my heart which may be fasting and praying from something I crave every day. He has asked me to lean not on my own understanding, but instead acknowledge Him so that He can direct my path. The Lord has already led me to a couple of seasoned homeschooling for advice. The Bible says in Proverbs, that in the multitude of counselors there is safety. So I have sought out these women, and picked their brain for godly wisdom. I’v also prayed for women who are in my season, who can identify with me so that we can pray and encourage one another. Through all of my seeking, the Lord has prompted me to make sure that I’m prepared for what’s ahead, that I may be able to stand when the trials of home school come. You may have heard of the saying, “Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be broken”. So, for me personally, I have found it easier to plan, so that I can work around my schedule when circumstances change.

I have in the past dove right in, or just winged it. Yet, that caused me to be scatter brained, and my home to be chaotic because of all the issues that can bog down a home school and house wife. I realize it’s no fun for me or my kids; to throw something at them one day; and the next give them something different is inconsistent, and exhausting. The Bible says, where there is no vision, the people perish. The book of Nehemiah is a perfect example of building something that you want to remain standing. Whether it’s our Christian walk, our home school,or the every day circumstances within our Christian life... we want it to stand. The Bible says, unless the Lord builds the house those who build it labor in vain (please read the whole Psalm 127). There will be people who mock you while you try to build. It may even be the enemy planting seeds of doubt, or worry in your mind. But we must continue to have our swords (THE WORD OF GOD) near by, being watchful, and helping each other to stand with while we build.

Try this as I myself do the same. Go before the Lord in prayer and fasting for a few days, and seek his guidance for the purpose of your home school, your goals, your dreams, desires, frustration, worries, and anything else that you are thinking about or feeling. I wonder what He will say to you. For me, so far, He has put it on my heart to prepare spiritually, and practically. He wants all of me. I will admit that I’v only taken baby steps. And I understand that I’ll have to make some sacrificial adjustments, but it is SO worth it. Our Husbands who are the principals of our home school, whether involved or not, needs our service in the Spirit of meekness and gentleness. Our children need a mom and teacher who are filled with God’s wisdom, and Agape love. Am I saying that we are to be perfect? Certainly not. Am I saying that we are never going to fall, or fail? No. We will need to keep our eyes on Jesus; we will need to set aside every sin and weight that so easily ensnares us. We will need to run this race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus. He is orchestrating our lives, day by day. Whatever comes our way is approved by God. He is in Control, He is On the Throne. May the Lord be the center of your home school.

Love and Blessings,
Jannette

3 comments:

Melody said...

LOVED this Jannette, thank you for sharing what God placed on your heart!! I can't believe the school year is almost upon us and while I'm getting excited (in June I didn't ever think I'd feel this way), I still feel a little bit of dread as I'm not ready at all! Thank you for the reminder to pray over this school year and to completely hand it over to God! ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL post Jannette! Thank you!

Sandy said...

Thank you for your post on homeschool. I'm sure as you're watering others you yourself are being watered. I like what you said about going before the Lord in prayer because lately I've really prayed a lot about our homeschool and I read today that the enemy trembles when we pray. There is power in it and the faith of a righteous person avails much. I am incapable of being a good teacher/wife/mom without God's power. God bless you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...