Saturday, February 6, 2010

Why The World Do We Homeschool?

I have been getting lots of different responses lately about us being a home school family. Some positive, others negative, and sometimes a mutual response.

So why in the crazy world would a family home school? Better yet, why in the crazy world would the Thrasher family home school? This question is so easy to answer. It may be a short answer, but my explanation is long and sincerely true.

When Calvin(who is 12 years old and our oldest) was about two years old, I had a strong desire to home school. My desire was shared with Gabe my husband who was a brand new believer at the time. I had just quit my Job as a shuttle driver at Ontario Dodge. Fervently, Day after Day, I prayed to be a stay at home mom. Often times in my car at lunch, I journal my thoughts crying out to Jesus to be with Calvin my little baby boy. Dropping Calvin off before work was hectic. At about 6:45A.M I would wake up rushing to get Calvin and myself ready and in the car by 7:05. Raced to Gabe’s Mom and Dads which was fifteen min. across town. Sadly I remember looking at Calvin in the rear view mirror, all bundled up in his (what we used to call south park) warm snow outfit. His hands extended outward like a plane, big fat cheeks, a little button nose, and a HUGE smile. As I said good buy to my baby boy, I felt one of the biggest voids a mother can feel. Quickly jumping back into the car speeding on the freeway at 85 to 90 mph, sometimes doing my make-up while driving. Each day (no matter if I was 2 or five min late) ,standing at the time card clock with his arms folded, tapping his foot and watch, would be my Jewish boss that didn't like me because I was a young Christian. Phyllis, my counter co-worker who received the same wages as I, who was old enough to be my mother, and Irene (old enough to be my grandmother, reluctantly referred to as mom, only by her initiation) would sit in the back round snickering at the fact that I was rushing in five min late again. The two biggest gossips in the department had a field day with a 20-year-old newbie. A new believer in Jesus, torn in all different directions, attacks all around twenty-four seven .

One day I had to pick up a man named Mr. Fisher. I recall the day so clearly. I arrive at his mobile home, he gets into the van and is quiet for about... a min or two, then asks, “So what do you plan on doing in the future”? I thought it was a rather odd question, politely responding with no hesitation I said, "I’m going to home school my son". BING!! Something sets Mr. Fisher off. "What!? You mean home school?, What a cop out! You can't make anything of your life home schooling! You'll ruin your child”! “What about social skills!? And why don't you go to collage and get some credentials and make something out of your life!?” “It's all you Christian's that come up with ridiculous ideas like home school.” If there's gonna be Christians in heaven, I would rather be in hell.!” They’re the worst hypocrites, and drivers, look a fish on the car, those are the worst drivers, hypocrites, home school, Ha.!” I said absolutely nothing until I got back to work. Running straight into my Jewish bosses dinky office, I stated, “I refuse to shuttle Mr. Fisher”!. And without any explanation my boss takes out a write up sheet to let me know how inappropriate it is to refuse to do your job, then shuts me in his office while him and the accountant office manager chew me out for being a bad example of a Christian. She (the accountant manager) would never allow her daughter to come crying complaining about a customer and refuse to sign a write up. God delivered me from that snare. I ran straight to the General Manager in defense. He told those two that they were immature, and to leave me alone because I was a good worker who minded my own business.

It was hard working out in the field. Men constantly trying to pick up on me. The pressure of not crashing diesel due lies or Doge Vipers. The pressure of receiving a truck load of PDI's five min before I should get off work. Racing to get Cal after work, then back home dead tired to take care of him by myself all night with teething and rocking, suffering with insomnia and paranoia, to do it all over again. Don't get me wrong it was one of my favorite jobs out of the thirteen I already had. I had just gotten saved and had the neatest privilege of sharing the gospel with hundreds of people of all different back rounds and nationalities as I shuttled them all over the Inland Empire. First thing in the morning at 7:thirtyish, I would have a car load of people listening to Pastor Chuck Smith. They would inevitably ask if I was a Christian. I would respond with a polite, “no, I am not any religion, I just love Jesus”. I had the privilege of sharing the gospel with my co-workers. My counter co-worker came to me with questions about life’s problems. Of course being young and a new believer, I had no clue what to say or how to answer these tough questions. But I was there to comfort and reinforce the reality of who God was in my own life. So to make a long story short, I mutely got fired and quit my job because of the stress that was building up within my own life including medical problems, miscarriages, and trying to be a strong witness for my husband who was not a Christian at the time. In fact he was hostile toward my new faith in Christ and thought that it was weird that I was reading my Bible all the time. But God, who answers prayer in his good timing, softened Gabes heart and guided his decision to allow me to stay home in spite of the fact that we had no financial means to do so at all.Within that same year Gabe came to know Jesus as his savior, and radically changed in many areas. Of course he has grown into a more Godly man than I had ever dreamed or prayed, and of courses we as Christians are always in a sanctification process until heaven. But the life of the Thrasher family was changing in drastic ways.
On the morning of September 11th 2001, I woke up to my favorite radio station KWVE announcing that our country had been attacked by radical Islamic extremists. And that one of the twin towers had a plane driven into it. I could not believe my eyes. The dreadful replay of those towers falling seemed so serial. This to me was confirmation about home school. Immediately I began to teach my little two year old about the devastation of the matter. We painted an American flag with Calvin's tiny hands as the stars, and hung it up in our widow. God was already preparing me to teach my Son about the meaning of respecting our country and it's heritage, and about how our country needs God so badly. My husband also joined a men’s bible study group where two other seasoned home school men were. One was a man named Sal who was along with his wife the administrators of our home school group at our church. Another was Lupe who had a vision along with his wife and a couple of other families, that our church would be blessed to have a home school group. They and their wives took us under their wings of knowledge and set us off on the journey of home schooling our child. And at age four. Gabe and I began to officially home school Calvin. He has always been a unique child. As his mother, I have always believed that he has been set apart and anointed for the work of the Lord. Giving his heart to the Lord at the age of three years old may be a shocker to some, but we have it on video and the love and knowledge he has of the lord at that age and now, are overwhelming evidences that God has used him and will continue to use him, as long as he keeps his heart with all diligence and as Gabe and I continue to train him up in the ways of the Lord.One of the most important scriptures that lead my husband and I to home school is Deuteronomy Chapter 6.

And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength.
And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands I am giving you today.
Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when you are getting up again.
Tie them to your hands as a reminder, and wear them on your forehead.
Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
"The LORD your God will soon bring you into the land he swore to give your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. It is a land filled with large, prosperous cities that you did not build.



What better way to put this scripture into practice than to home school. I keep having to reminding myself that I “GET” to home school. It's a privilege, an honor, our ministry, and our calling that we may walk into by the grace of God. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Another scripture that I am constantly reminded of and is our home school philosophy and theme, is John 15:5

I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much (abundant) fruit. However, apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing.

I have experienced this truth over and over in the journey of home schooling. Unfortunately, more than not, I’V had to learn this lesson over and over to my shame. But through the lesson I have been refined and built up to the point where I’V to realize that it’s not me, nor my husband, or anyone else.Often times I remind myself that my children will no doubt, have a greater degree of persecution than I did. Therefore, I am not simply raising "home schooled Children”, or even Christian Children with a Christian education. My husband and I together with Gods guidance are raising children in the name of Jesus, for the Glory of God, in a hostile, Christ rejecting world that is getting darker and darker. Our prayer for our children is that they would shine bright, and use whatever God has given to them to bring people into the kingdom and turn sinners away from the fires of hell. This is what sets a home school family apart from just simply home schooling, or any type of schooling. Yes academics are important, and are very evident in our home atmosphere. We love to learn, read, bake plays games, art, drama, sing, etc. The richness of learning in a Christian home leaves an everlasting imprint on everyone’s hearts and minds. So much so that most people that were against us (not personally, but rather the idea of) home schooling, have become our #1 cheerleaders. Most strangers that I’V run across have told me that they agree with what were doing. Sadly I get a more positive feedback from non-believers than I do some Christians for whatever strange reason.

I graduated with straight D’s, Had been in special Ed classes all my life, and had never really learned anything about our world. Yet when God ordained this ministry, I began to learn all that had been lost through my childhood education. Paul the apostle said:

1Cr 1:26
Remember, dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in the world's eyes, or powerful, or wealthy when God called you.
1Cr 1:27Instead, God deliberately chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose those who are powerless to shame those who are powerful.
1Cr 1:28God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important,
1Cr 1:29so that no one can ever boast in the presence of God.I knew that I was incapable, unqualified, immature, and whatever else. But weren’t the apostles.

Paul himself said in Eph 3:8 Just think! Though I did nothing to deserve it, and though I am the least deserving Christian there is, I was chosen for this special joy of telling the Gentiles about the endless treasures available to them in Christ.


Our children are the next generation. We get to pass the button of faith to them. They get to carry God's message out to this dying, dark, and devastated world. They are salt and light, and we as their parents get to reap the joy of seeing the fruit of God's plan worked out in their lives.Seven years after Calvin was dedicated in the womb, surprisingly we had another child. Like I said, I had two miscarriages in a row from medical circumstances that statistically speaking causes infertility, and we seriously thought that Calvin was going to be our only one. So here we are home schooling in a little two bedroom apartment that was infested with cockroaches, water damage, mold, and apartment drug addicts; I'm pregnant with my third, with no car, no family or friends to visit, day in and day out for almost seven years. Then God blesses us with my husbands mother (who passed into heaven) car. And importantly, God puts it on Gabe's moms heart to ask who about the plan of salvation. So Gabe and his mother talk about Jesus for three and a half hours. She decides to fully commit her life into her saviors hands on Ezekiel’s second birthday party. Her and Gabe secretly go into a room to pray the sinners prayer and cry together. What a precious moment that must have been. So she handed down her “LIL RED” Wagon to us, and it's been a useful tool and blessing ever since.

About two and a half years before we moved out of the dreadful apartment, my little Ahava was born. Now I'm home schooling with very little space. I had to become a perfectionist at organizing and cleaning. Mainly because I HATE, again I say HATE bugs! Onetime while Calvin was getting out some home school supplies, a creepy crawly two inch roach came to tickle his ankle. I also had to be on the alert because Trinity was learning to crawl, and would often find dead ones in a corner of a room. I passed out roach glue to the neighbors, as we exchanged traumatic stories. The manager was simply one of the most cheapest and laziest. The gardeners were gockers, and the maintenance men were pot heads and peeping toms. Almost everyday even on some of the most beautiful mornings while we home schooled next to the window (which let little indirect sunlight), we would get a huge drift of smelly pot flowing through our window. Apartment rules forbid kids to ride bikes, skates or play with any toys outside the gate. Outside of the apartment complex was drug trafficking, and lots of city traffic in general. So it was nice to finally have a car and simply get away when times would get unbearable or desperate. Then our unexpected Elias, born on one tube and ovary just like Trinity, arrives. I ‘m utterly squeezed, cramped and exhausted. Every thing in our two bedroom apartment is falling apart . The neighbors blast their ear piercing music all day long while their friends tag all over our yard and hand over the fence to stare at me. I was desperate. I begged God to move us out of there so many times, and every time we would go to look for a house to rent or buy, the door would close. After eight and a half long years, God sends a flood. Both toilets flood our apartment, and on the same day two other apartments flooded. During this time there was an open door to leave, and we did.So the question one might ask is? "what dose that have to do with home schooling? A whole lot. Our family trials are life learning situations for our children to learn from. Our family grew closer together than ever. Don't get me wrong. It’s been a challenge every step of the way. There have been times where I wanted to give up, where I have threatened to 'Throw my son into the public school system to fend for himself". There have been more valleys than mountain tops.My mother was recently hospitalized a few months ago and had almost died. I had to take a few weeks off to be with my mom through that difficult time. But I was thankful that I didn't have to get up at six in the morning and race the kids to school or daycare, then drive into Orange County to visit my her.I was glad that I didn’t have to race back home to pick up the kids from school and get homework done. I simply took three weeks off and allowed the Lord to direct my path. When my Mom stayed with us after her accident, Calvin was the sweetest servant. He served his Grandmother a cup of coffee every morning, and would be ready to do whatever she needed.

Just recently, Gabe got let go from his job. This is another wave, test, and learning lesson. Can we or will we trust in the Lord just as we always have from the beginning. Can we dedicate our lives, our children, our dreams, and ministry into the hands of God? Nothing is impossible with God. Yes the economy is bad, it's like an economical famine, and yes home schooling is still a challenge. I ‘m in a season with little ones. The house is always noisy, and my mind is always racing. I'm drained mentaly,physically, and sometimes to my shame and sadness spiritually. But I am more in love with my husband than I ever dreamed. My children (all four of them) are more precious to me than ever that I can't help but continually pray that they be used for the Glory of God and dedicate their lives to Jesus and his plan. I ‘m on cloud nine when it comes to the love that Gabe has for me. I believe as home school parents, that through the tough times, we need to teach our children that the world doesn’t revolve around us and that we need to show each other love and respect more than ever. We need to teach our children about the danger of materialism, and the fantasy of the American present day worldly lifestyle of bling and addiction. This is done by simply denying self, and being an example to them in action. Romans 12:1&2 Say:

And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Through our home school journey, we have had to learn what it is like to have plenty, and what it’s like to have little. But it has taught our children to be creative, and excited over the simplest things. We haven't had the privilege and honor of traveling, and exploring our world. But we’ve had the privilege of sharing the good news of the gospel with the broken hearted who are in search of meaning to a pitiful life. And I guess what? We can identify. When the kids go to the park, they easily make friends with the kids, and end up giving them history lessons in the sand. And when we have the opportunity to be at Friday school, the kids learn Spanish, geography, and Science. They have shared their talents at home, to family, and at church. God has truly shown us the fruit. I can't wait to see what's in store for the Thrasher family. We are in a season. It’s difficult but exciting. But one day it will all pass and I’ll look back and never regret the decision.

Personally I have to say. Home school is not for everyone. I certainly do not believe that Home school is The Way, The Truth And The Life. I’ve seen homeschooler’s go wayward, and I’ve seen public schooled kids walk strong in their faith. I am not bi-est, nor do I push my opinions on others, and hopefully I don’t put others down for what God has called them to do. Yet I do believe that if a person has a strong desire to home school, that they should pray and consider what God may be calling them to walk into. My prayer and hope is that God continues to bless us with the privilege to do so in spite of any hardship or curveball that life may bring.

So once again, Why would the Thrasher’s homeschool? Because we are called.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...